Kagoshima trip : the Land of Volcanoes and Hot Springs

 # My Trip to Kagoshima: 

A Three-Day Adventure in the Land of Volcanoes and Hot Springs



I have always wanted to visit Kagoshima, the southernmost prefecture of Japan's main islands. It is known for its rich history, culture, cuisine, and natural beauty. Kagoshima is also home to Sakurajima, one of the most active volcanoes in the world, and many hot springs that are said to have healing properties.




I decided to spend three days and two nights in Kagoshima, exploring its main attractions and experiencing its local charm. Here is a summary of my itinerary and some highlights of my trip.


## Day 1: Arrival and City Tour


I arrived at Kagoshima Airport in the morning and took a bus to Kagoshima Chuo Station, the main transportation hub of the city. From there, I walked to my hotel, which was conveniently located near the station. After checking in and dropping off my luggage, I headed out to explore the city.


My first stop was Shiroyama Park, a hilltop park that offers a panoramic view of Kagoshima and Sakurajima. The park also has a museum that displays the history and culture of Kagoshima, especially its role in the Meiji Restoration. I learned about the famous Satsuma Rebellion, led by Saigo Takamori, who is regarded as the last samurai.



Next, I visited Sengan-en Garden, a traditional Japanese garden that was once the residence of the Shimazu clan, the feudal lords of Kagoshima. The garden is beautifully landscaped with ponds, streams, bridges, and pavilions. It also has a museum that showcases the art and crafts of the Shimazu family, such as pottery, lacquerware, swords, and armor.


After enjoying the garden, I had lunch at a nearby restaurant that specializes in kurobuta, or black pork. This is a local delicacy that is made from Berkshire pigs that are raised in Kagoshima. The meat is tender, juicy, and flavorful. I ordered a kurobuta tonkatsu set, which came with a deep-fried pork cutlet, rice, miso soup, salad, and pickles.


In the afternoon, I took a ferry to Sakurajima Island, where I rented a bicycle and rode around the island. I saw many signs of volcanic activity, such as smoke plumes, ash deposits, and lava fields. I also visited some attractions on the island, such as the Sakurajima Visitor Center, where I learned more about the volcano's history and eruptions; the Yunohira Observation Point, where I had a close-up view of the crater; and the Nagisa Footbath Park, where I soaked my feet in a natural hot spring by the sea.



I returned to Kagoshima City in the evening and had dinner at a local izakaya (Japanese pub). I tried some of Kagoshima's specialties, such as satsuma-age (fried fish cake), karukan (steamed cake made from sweet potato and rice flour), and shochu (a distilled liquor made from various ingredients such as sweet potato, rice, or barley). I also enjoyed some live music and friendly conversations with the locals.


## Day 2: Kirishima National Park



On my second day, I decided to visit Kirishima National Park, which is about an hour's drive from Kagoshima City. The park is famous for its scenic mountains, lakes, forests, and hot springs. It is also considered as a sacred place in Japanese mythology, where the gods descended to earth.


I joined a guided tour that took me to some of the highlights of the park. We first stopped at Takachiho-no-mine, a mountain that is regarded as the birthplace of Japan's first emperor. We hiked up to the summit and admired the view of the surrounding peaks and valleys. We also saw some shrines and monuments along the way that commemorate the legend of Ninigi-no-Mikoto, the grandson of the sun goddess Amaterasu.


Next, we visited Kirishima Shrine, one of the oldest shrines in Japan. It is dedicated to Ninigi-no-Mikoto and his wife Konohana-sakuya-hime (the goddess of cherry blossoms). The shrine has a striking red gate and a main hall that is built in an ancient style. The shrine is also surrounded by a forest of cedar trees that create a serene atmosphere.


After visiting the shrine, we had lunch at a nearby restaurant that serves soba (buckwheat noodles) and tempura (deep-fried vegetables and seafood). The soba was fresh and chewy,

and the tempura was crispy and light. I also had some green tea to wash it all down.


In the afternoon, we went to Kirishima Onsen, a hot spring resort that has various types of baths, such as open-air, indoor, and private. I chose to try the open-air bath, which was located in a natural setting with a view of the mountains. The water was clear and warm, and it felt soothing on my skin. I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery for about an hour.



We then returned to Kagoshima City and had dinner at a restaurant that serves kaiseki (a traditional multi-course meal). The kaiseki consisted of several dishes that were made from seasonal and local ingredients, such as sashimi (raw fish), nimono (simmered vegetables and meat), yakimono (grilled fish), and wagashi (Japanese sweets). Each dish was beautifully presented and delicious.



## Day 3: Departure and Souvenir Shopping


On my last day, I checked out of my hotel and took a bus to Kagoshima Airport. Before leaving, I decided to do some souvenir shopping at the airport's shops. I bought some items that are unique to Kagoshima, such as:


- Satsuma-yaki: A type of pottery that has a distinctive blue and white pattern. It is used for tea sets, plates, bowls, and vases.

- Kokuto: A type of brown sugar that is made from sugarcane grown in Kagoshima. It has a rich flavor and can be eaten as a candy or used for cooking and baking.

- Chiran-cha: A type of green tea that is grown in Chiran, a town in Kagoshima that is known for its tea culture. It has a smooth taste and a refreshing aroma.

- Sakurajima daikon: A type of radish that is grown on Sakurajima Island. It is the largest radish in the world, weighing up to 30 kilograms. It is usually pickled or cooked in soup or stew.


I packed my souvenirs in my suitcase and boarded my flight back home. I had a wonderful time in Kagoshima and I hope to visit again someday.


Comments

Popular Posts