Kyoto trip: the beautiful temples, gardens, and culture of this ancient city

I visited Kyoto for three days and two nights by myself. It was my first time in Japan, and I was very excited to see the beautiful temples, gardens, and culture of this ancient city. Here is my blog about my trip.




Day 1: I arrived at Kyoto Station in the morning, and took a bus to my hotel near Gion, the famous geisha district. I checked in and left my luggage, then headed out to explore the city. My first stop was Kiyomizu-dera, a stunning temple on a hill overlooking Kyoto. The main hall has a large wooden balcony that offers a panoramic view of the city and the mountains. I also enjoyed walking around the temple grounds, which have many cherry blossom trees, pagodas, and statues. I bought some souvenirs at the shops along the slope leading to the temple entrance.


After Kiyomizu-dera, I walked to Kodai-ji, another temple nearby. This one is known for its elegant Zen gardens, which feature rocks, sand, moss, and ponds. I especially liked the bamboo grove, which made me feel like I was in a different world. The sound of the wind rustling through the bamboo was very soothing.


I had lunch at a small restaurant near Kodai-ji, where I tried some local specialties like tofu and yuba (tofu skin). They were very delicious and healthy. I also had some matcha (green tea) and wagashi (Japanese sweets) for dessert.


In the afternoon, I went to Nijo Castle, the former residence of the shoguns who ruled Japan from 1603 to 1867. The castle is surrounded by a moat and stone walls, and has two main buildings: the Ninomaru Palace and the Honmaru Palace. The Ninomaru Palace is famous for its nightingale floors, which squeak when stepped on to alert the guards of intruders. The palace also has many beautiful paintings and carvings on the walls and ceilings. The Honmaru Palace is not open to the public, but I could see it from outside.


I spent the evening in Gion, where I hoped to catch a glimpse of a geisha or a maiko (apprentice geisha). I walked along the narrow streets lined with traditional wooden houses and lanterns, and saw many people wearing kimono (Japanese robes). I also visited Yasaka Shrine, which is dedicated to the god of prosperity and good health. The shrine was very lively with people praying, making offerings, and buying charms.


I had dinner at a cozy izakaya (Japanese pub), where I enjoyed some sake (rice wine) and yakitori (grilled chicken skewers). I also met some friendly locals who taught me some Japanese words and phrases. They were very curious about my country and culture, and we had a nice conversation.


Day 2: I got up early and took a train to Arashiyama, a scenic area on the western outskirts of Kyoto. My first destination was the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, one of the most iconic sights in Kyoto. The bamboo stalks are so tall and dense that they create a natural tunnel that blocks out the sun. It was very cool and peaceful inside the forest.


Next, I crossed the Togetsukyo Bridge over the Katsura River, which offers a beautiful view of the mountains and the water. I then visited Tenryu-ji, a Zen temple with a magnificent garden that blends with the natural scenery. The garden has a pond with koi fish, a waterfall, and various plants and flowers. The temple also has a dragon painting on the ceiling of its main hall.


I had lunch at a restaurant near Tenryu-ji, where I had some soba (buckwheat noodles) and tempura (deep-fried vegetables and seafood). They were very tasty and satisfying.


In the afternoon, I took a bus to Kinkaku-ji, or the Golden Pavilion. This is one of the most famous landmarks in Kyoto, and for good reason. The pavilion is covered with gold leaf and reflects on the pond in front of it. It looks like something out of a fairy tale. The pavilion was originally built as a villa for a shogun, but later became a Zen temple.


After Kinkaku-ji, I went to Ryoan-ji, another Zen temple nearby. This one is known for its rock garden, which consists of 15 rocks arranged on a bed of white gravel. The rocks are placed in such a way that you can only see 14 of them from any angle. The garden is meant to represent the essence of Zen Buddhism: simplicity, harmony, and mystery.


I spent the evening at Nishiki Market, a long shopping street that sells all kinds of food and goods. I tried some samples of pickles, dried fish, mochi (rice cakes), and other snacks. I also bought some souvenirs for my friends and family, such as fans, chopsticks, and pottery.


I had dinner at a ramen shop near the market, where I had a bowl of tonkotsu ramen (noodles in pork broth). It was very rich and flavorful, and warmed me up after a long day.


Day 3: I checked out of my hotel and took a bus to Fushimi Inari Taisha, a Shinto shrine dedicated to the god of rice and business. The shrine is famous for its thousands of torii gates, which form a path up the mountain. The gates are bright orange and contrast with the green forest. It was very impressive and photogenic.


I climbed up the mountain, passing by many smaller shrines and statues of foxes, which are the messengers of the god. The hike took me about two hours, but it was worth it. The view from the top was amazing. I could see the whole city of Kyoto and beyond.


I had lunch at a small cafe near the shrine, where I had some udon (thick wheat noodles) and karaage (fried chicken). They were very simple but delicious.


In the afternoon, I took a train back to Kyoto Station, where I had some time to kill before my departure. I visited the Kyoto Tower, which is the tallest structure in Kyoto. It has an observation deck that offers a 360-degree view of the city. I also went to the Kyoto Railway Museum, which displays various trains and locomotives from different eras. It was very interesting and fun to see how trains have evolved over time.


I had dinner at a sushi restaurant near the station, where I had some nigiri (rice topped with raw fish) and sashimi (sliced raw fish). They were very fresh and delicious. I also had some green tea ice cream for dessert.


I boarded my train and said goodbye to Kyoto. It was an unforgettable trip that I will always remember. I learned a lot about Japanese history, culture, and cuisine. I also met some wonderful people who made me feel welcome. I hope to come back someday and see more of this beautiful country.

Comments

Popular Posts